1. Father Brunner & The Wilderness Founding (1850)
In the mid-19th century, Northwest Ohio was a heavily forested wilderness settled by German-speaking immigrants. In 1850, Father Francis de Sales Brunner, C.PP.S., a Swiss missionary priest of the Society of the Most Precious Blood, was sent to shepherd these rural communities. Drawn to the tranquil woods on the border of Huron and Seneca counties, Fr. Brunner erected a small wooden chapel dedicated to the Sorrowful Mother. He placed a small carved statue of Mary holding the body of Jesus within it, creating a rustic spiritual sanctuary where local farming families could gather to pray in their native tongue.
This chapel quickly became a regional beacon. Immigrants traveled miles by foot or horse-drawn wagon to seek peace among the trees, marking the birth of the oldest Marian pilgrimage site in the United States east of the Mississippi River.